Mac & Cheese, please!🤎
Graces, check out my chef's kiss recipe for the ultimate comfort meal, Macaroni and Cheese. Click here for Grace of Melanin's Tiktok page.
Grace's Mac & Cheese🤎
1 lb Al dente Elbow Macaroni
*al dente- cooked so as to be still firm when bitten.
2 cans Evaporated Milk
2.5 cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 cup shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
1 stick Butter
1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
1 tsp each Black Pepper, Smoked Paprika, Slap ya Mama Seasoning, Salt, Ground Mustard, Minced Onion
Dash Cayenne pepper, Allspice or Nutmeg
2 tsp Sugar
- Boil the pasta, cook al dente, then drain.
- Make the cheese sauce by combining a fat (butter), and starch (flour), then whisking in the milk and seasonings.
- Cook the sauce until it’s nice and thick on low heat to avoid scorching.
- Add in shredded cheeses, stir well, reserve some for topping.
- Combine cheese sauce with cooked pasta.
- Transfer the mac and cheese to a baking dish, sprinkle with remaining shredded cheeses.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes and enjoy!
Some history on this famous dish via Moguldom:
The story, passed down through the generations, goes that while traveling in Europe in the late 1700s prior to becoming president, Thomas Jefferson first tried a European version of macaroni pasta and cheese. He brought the recipe back when he returned to Virginia. But what is left out of that lore is that Jefferson was traveling with a slave who was his chef, and it was James Hemings who came up with a version of mac and cheese for Americans’ taste. But Jefferson and his wife, Martha, took the credit.”
Here on Grace of Melanin, we give flowers where they are truly grown..
Major props to Chef Hemings. Thank you immensely for your contributions to our culture.